The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tolstoy Re-Visited



I started reading Tolstoy in my late twenties and never recovered, thank god. With me, Tolstoy is a terminal addiction.

Picking up my old copy of Anna Karenina, glancing idly through it, I have not been able to put it down.

Notice how, in Chapter V, Levin is introduced; read his conversation with Oblonsky, how few words pass between them, and yet everything is "said."

Tolstoy did not write "books." Anyone can do that. Tolstoy wrote life itself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I know the feeling. I did it a little while back with War and Peace (unabridged) and couldn't put it down till I read it again. That has happened multiple times with Moby Dick as well as Anna Karenina. Sometimes when I pass the book shelf where these volumes reside I have to check myself from picking them up. It's as if I say to myself: "It is a tome. If you start, you know what will happen. Move along, move along."

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home