The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

The Gardener's Catechism



In response to the Pasha Tuctan's question as to the Gardener Karpos's religion, Karpos replied: "... I love God with all my heart, and I sell my vegetables reasonably."

Asked about his principles, Karpos replied: "... they are few in number, but they are enough for me; and if I had more of them, they would encumber me." Prodded to name them, he added:

"Well, for instance, to be a good husband, good father, good neighbor, good subject, and good gardener; I don't go beyond that, and I hope that God will have mercy on me."

~ Voltaire, Philosophical Dictionary, tr. Peter Gay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home