The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Gnostic Hafez















I'll say it openly, and be
Happy to speak my mind--
"I am the slave of love, and I
Have left both worlds behind."

I am a bird from paradise
And can't account for how
I fell into this trap of troubles
Where I must languish now.

I was an angel, the highest court
Of heaven was home to me--
Adam it was who brought me to
This ruined monastery.

But heavenly shade, the waters there,
The houris' proffered love
Are all forgotten now, and it's
Your street I'm dreaming of;

And on the tablets of my heart
My friend's tall stature's written;
What can I do? My master's lesson
Was this, and now I'm smitten.

No wise astrologer can tell
What star's assigned to me;
O God, when earth, my mother, bore me,
What did the heavens decree?

A slave before love's wine-shop door
Is where and how I live,
And every moment brings to me
The blessings sorrows give.

My eyes weep heart's blood--this is right
Given what I have done;
Why did I hand my heart to one
Beloved by everyone?

Oh, use your hair to wipe the tears
From your Hafez's face,
Or soon their flood will bear me off
And leave behind no trace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home