The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Thursday, January 08, 2015

I Saw the Green Fields of the Sky



















I saw the green fields of the sky,
and there a sickle moon--
I reckoned what I'd sown, and thought,
"The harvest will come soon."

I said, "My luck, you've been asleep;
now dawn has brought the sun."
She said, "The past is past; do not
despair of all you've done;

The night you leave this world, go, climb
like Jesus through the skies--
Your lamp, a hundred times, will light
the sun as you arise.

Don't trust the shining moon, she is
the highway robber who
Stole Kay Kavus's throne, and then
the belt of Khosrow too.

Gold earrings set with rubies may
charm you, and lead you on,
But know this: Beauty's reign is brief,
and all too quickly gone."

God keep the evil eye from your
sweet beauty, which can field
A pawn to make the sun and moon
precipitously yield.

Say to the heavens, "Don't boast of splendor!"
When love is matched with you,
The harvest of the moon's a grain,
and of the stars but two.

Hypocrisy will burn the harvest
religion reaped; and so,
Hafez, shrug off this sufi cloak--
just leave now, let it go.

[Tr. Dick Davis].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home