The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Further Reflections


D. H. Lawrence published The Escaped Cock in 1929, William Faulkner published “The Bear” in 1942, Hemingway The Old Man in 1952. All were writing post-theological religious literature in my view. 

I think Tolstoy’s “The Bear Hunt” (1872) looms in the background of both the Faulkner and the Hemingway story, the Gospel of Mark in the background of Part I of Lawrence’s story.

Of The Old Man, Hemingway said: “all the things that are in it do not show, but only are with you after you have read it” and “It’s as though I had gotten finally what I had been working for all my life.”

Of the three, I think The Old Man is the most perfectly realized. It seems flawless to me.
 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home