The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Adolf Grunbaum



Just over a year ago today (November 15, 2018), Adolf Grunbaum passed into the great beyond at the age of 95. I took only one course with Professor Grunbaum as an undergraduate (an Honors Seminar in Religion and Science), but the impact of that single course has remained with me (and will continue to reverberate) for the rest of my life. Grunbaum had no patience with lazy-minded thinking--religious or otherwise. He taught me to read Freud with an eye both critical and appreciative and he introduced me to the work of Erich Fromm. He also convinced me to expand my musical horizons (on his recommendation, I began to listen to Maria Callas). And so, Professor Grunbaum, this song's for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home