The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Lines From The Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi



My heart is weary of these weak-spirited companions;
I desire the Lion of God and Rustom, son of Zal…

Bankrupt tho’ I be, I will not accept a small carnelian;
The mine of rare tremulous carnelian is my desire.

Of this folk I am full of complaint, weeping and weary;
I desire the drunkards’ wailing and lamentation.

My soul is grown weary of Pharaoh and his tyranny;
I desire the light of the countenance of Moses, son of ‘Imran.


[Admirably translated from the Persian by R. A. Nicholson]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home