The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Greatest 20th Century American Novel

I have long been of the opinion that the greatest novel written by an American in the 20th century was As I Lay Dying.



John O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra, however, has undermined my confidence in that judgment.



I have found few books as emotionally shattering as this one. I did not expect to be moved by Julian English's unraveling. But O'Hara's prose is masterful and spare. Every sentence (or practically every one) hits home and draws blood.

Appointment in Samarra is a masterpiece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home