The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

On Pilgrimage










My first pilgrimage took place in second or third grade, when I convinced my parents to take me to Gettysburg:












Other civil war battlefields and monuments would follow:


As I grew into adulthood and my tastes became more literary in nature, my choice of pilgrimage sites did likewise.


Edgar Allen Poe house (Philadelphia):













Hartford Accident & Indemnity Company (Wallace Stevens):











Hemingway's Finca (Key West):











The Thomas Wolfe house in Asheville:















Jack London's grave:













Robinson Jeffers's Tor House:














Montaigne's statue (across the street from the Sorbonne):



















But these are all ziyarat when compared to the Great Pilgrimage known as hajj:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home