The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Emersonian Transcendentalism















"...Emersonian Transcendentalism is not a transcendence at all, but is the program of attaining [a kind of] transparency, which is the peculiarly American mode of the Romantic epiphany or privileged moment. Immanence and transcendence are both spatial concepts; the Divine is either in the world or above and over the world, but the Emersonian transparency gives us the Divine as being found through the world, which is not a spatial category at all, but discontinuous in the extreme, and as much an ebbing out as a flowing in, as Whitman, Hart Crane, and their compeers discovered."

Harold Bloom, Figures of Capable Imagination, 61-62.

And of what, pray tell, does this transparency consist?

Crossing a bare common, in snow puddles, at twilight, under a clouded sky, without having in my thoughts any occurrence of special good fortune, I have enjoyed a perfect exhilaration. I am glad to the brink of fear....Standing on the bare ground,--my head bathed by the blithe air and uplifted into infinite space,--all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or parcel of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintance, master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature [emphasis added].










Emersonian Transcendentalism is akin to Hallajian ecstasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home