The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Abu Huseyn an-Nuri (d. approx. 907 CE)



"I spent twenty years between finding and losing. Here's how: When I found my lord, I lost my heart; and when I found my heart, I lost my lord" [my translation from the Risala of al-Qushayri, Beirut (2005), 62].

Abu Huseyn an-Nuri understood the paradoxical nature of a life lived longing for the Divine--1,000 years before Kierkegaard "discovered" it. This gnomic saying expresses his appreciation of that state of confoundedness in which one wanders on "the path"--the path being nothing other than life itself.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Grappion said...

One could include Rumi and Kabir in this group as well

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home