The Mazeppist

A Transgressive Transcendentalist manifesto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dar ul-Fikr, Colorado, United States

Part Irish, part Dervish, ecstatic humanist, critical Modernist, transgressive Transcendentalist.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

On the Other Hand (or, Lately it Occurs to Me)....

In my lifetime, I only went to about a half dozen Dead shows because it took a lot for me to handle the scene. I was at the Dead's last show in Pittsburgh, PA (June '95) and witnessed them make it rain. I swear I did and I was NOT on psychotropics.

The other day, I was walking along on campus and, as somebody passed me, I caught a whiff of pachouli and nearly burst into tears.

If, in my youth, the general level of fascism in this country had been as high as it is today, I think I would have gladly taken refuge in the Deadhead scene despite my many reservations. But I don't know for sure. I've come to believe that if white people are not drugged up and made to dance in that weird Scenehead tai chi kind of way, they will spend their time travelling the world killing and robbing brown people. So, in a way, I think a case can be made that the Deadheads and Sceneheads alike were the last line of defense.

Perhaps I should be more kind...

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

No...You saw it.
I was there and I saw it too.
That was magic.
Try to not forget what it looked like.

Best regards,

Tom

1:59 AM  
Blogger Sidi Hamid Benengeli said...

I will never forget, my friend. And in times like these, we need that kind of magic more than ever. And now that the madness of the scene has been dispersed, I think that the time has come to stir the embers into flame. Every day now I tap into
http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

put the head-phones on and let the boys (and sometimes the girl) carry me away...

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home